Saturday 24 December 2011

My first review: By Darkness Hid

I've decided to do reviews on my blog,
nothing fancy but an opportunity to share some books that I have enjoyed,
or been educated by.
For more information on how and what I will be reviewing,
check the tab at the top of the blog.

By Darkness Hid - by Jill Williamson (Book 1 in The Blood of Kings trilogy)
Fantasy Novel
503 pages
**Winner of the 2010 Christy Award for the Visionary Category!**

Back Cover: Half of  Er'Rets is locked beneath an impenetrable shroud. On the side that still sees the sun, two young people struggle to understand the mind-communication abilities thrust upon them. 
          It's called bloodvoicing. Some say it's a gift. One of the newly "gifted" wish it had never come.

          While Achan learns to use his new ability, Vrell struggles to shut hers down. All the voices strive to learn Achan and Vrell's true identities--and a different kind of voice is calling them both.
          Toward a destination that is by darkness hid. 

As a Writer... Williamson has a wonderful and unique style of writing that is very beautiful. I enjoyed the original descriptions and pictures that she painted with words. She also has a wealth of knowledge about castles and medieval weaponry that comes out in her writing. Sometimes I found the story line got weighed down by the in depth descriptions-I admit to some skimming to see what happens next. Both Achan and Vrell were believably portrayed. It was a wonderful and enjoyable read - I would recommend this book to adults and young adults alike!

As a Christian... This book is definitely Christian in nature. What is wonderful is that Williamson weaves this into the story in a way that is not overt. I enjoyed finding the references to God because I did not feel like it was being shoved down my throat. I really appreciated this as the plot and the crafting of the story really had a chance to shine without being bogged down by the author's agenda.

As a Mother... I would give this book to my own children without hesitation. There are some allusions to the marriage bed and mistresses but nothing explicit. Definitely a story for those twelve and older (adults will enjoy this book as well).

I enjoyed this book and I look forward to reading the second in the series. Williamson is a wonderful writer with a bright future. I can't wait to see what she comes up with next.

I gladly give her book .
 
You can check her blog out here.
You can purchase her books on her blog or from Marcher Lord Press (they have some other really cool stuff there too).
There is also a super cool digital homeschool curriculum which will take you through the book in three weeks.
She also has a wonderful blog for teenage writer's (woo hoo!) called Teenage Authors.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reviewing the book, Karen!
    :-)
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Jill Williamson

    No problem, it was my pleasure. I look forward to delving into the next in the series. :)

    ReplyDelete